Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yes We Did


So what's an American Obama supporter to do when she's in London for the inauguration? Find other Americans! I managed to find a group of expats who had commandeered a music venue for the occasion. For 10 quid we could watch the show on a giant big screen, and I fortunately not only snagged a great seat up front, but also made friends with this British gal I met in line. Actually, most of the people I noticed there were Brits, and I even heard girls in the bathroom saying they wish they were American - you WOULD NOT have heard that kind of talk during the Bush years. Anyway, I thought the inauguration was inspiring - the speech was awesome, Aretha's hat and Rev. Lowry stole the show, Rick Warren was dull, and I'm nearly deaf from the chorus of boos that rang out every time Bush and Mr. Potter, er, Cheney appeared on screen. It was also extraordinary to see a roomful of Brits stand up for the National Anthem and sing.

The only downside of the day: the headline in the London paper that read:

"Bush Says Goodbye to World, Says Hello to Texas." Can't win them all!

In non-Obama news, I have moved into my flat and am settling in. It's a huge house, with a utility room and dining room (my last London house had the fridge in the den), so that's pretty nice. On Sunday I went with one of my flatmates and his friend to see the "Wildlife Photographer of the Year" exhibit at the National History Museum - lots of amazing photos. I hope to do more museum-hopping once Celebrity Big Brother is over. I mean, once I settle in.

No comments:

Post a Comment